Welcome to Royal Sovereign!
Our teachers are Mrs Kitchener and Miss Mouatt.
Our teaching assistant is Miss Rowe.
The children have been working very hard this term and we are very proud of their determination, perserverence and work ethic they have shown whilst be sitting their SATS tests! Well done to all the children and all the parents/carers for the amazing help and support!
Our topic this term is THE GRUFFALO! The children will do all their learning around this theme. We are very excited about this topic and have lots of amazing activities planned including hosting a Gruffalo cinema event for the whole school! We are hoping our cinema will help us raise the funds to go to Dalby Forest!
We are looking at the author 'Roald Dahl' this term and will be exploring his books in class. Your child might bring home a book to read with you. Please support us with this and ensure the books are returned for the other children to borrow.
Basic skills in Literacy & Numeracy
Basic skills really help us with our work.
Basic skills in Literacy:
- To learn all my spellings.
- To learn how to use prefixes and suffixes.
- To write stories with detail.
- To use adjectives, adverbs and nouns in sentences correctly.
- To read with fluency and expression.
- To join my handwriting.
- To write sentences that have punctuation such as question marks, exclamation marks and commands.
- To use apostrophes in words.
Basic skills in maths:
- The times tables that we need to know are our 2's, 5's and 10's.
- Knowing the addition and subtraction facts for numbers up to 20.
- Recognising odd and even numbers.
- Doubling and halving numbers to 50.
- Recognise the place value of each digit in all 2-digit numbers (tens, ones).
- Read and write numbers to at least 100 in numerals and in words
- Compare and order numbers from 0 up to 100; using how many…?,count, count (up) to, count on (from, to), count back (from, to), count in ones, twos… tens…, more, less, many, few, odd, even, every other. Etc
- Count in steps of 2, 3, 5 and 10, count in tens from any number, and give 10 more or less than a given number to 100.
- Arrange, read and write numbers in increasing and decreasing order up to 100.
** Watch the video below to see an explanantion of one of our calculations :) **
We will need to bring our PE kit in for a Monday and Tuesday. If you would like to leave your childs kit in school until half term, that is fine. Please ensure that they have suitable footwear and are not wearing earrings on these days. Thank you.
The children will have a spelling test every Friday with Miss Mouatt. Please ensure the children learn these at home and are ready for Friday. There will be more of a focus on practical challenges this term for homework. We would like to give you and your child the opportunity to explore what we learn in class in your home, but in more of a hands on/fun approach to learning.