Welcome to Royal Sovereign! We hope everyone is staying safe and healthy! Please check Twitter daily for messages from your teachers.
Our teachers are Mrs.Kitchener, Miss Mouatt, Miss Dorning and Miss Smith.
We have a session of Numeracy first thing in the morning. We do mental arithmetic, solve problems, master concepts and we reason our findings.
After play, we have our literacy session. Everyday we do phonics, lots of reading, writing, spelling and handwriting.
We link all of our topic work, which includes the subjects: history, geography, science, religious education and PHSE (social and emotional aspects of learning and personal, health and social education), art and design, design technology and music.
Our current topic investigates the question: How would you survive as an explorer?
PE takes place on a Tuesday. PE kit should include black shorts or tracksuit bottoms, a white t-shirt, a jumper/jacket and suitable shoes/trainers for outdoor games.
Children will have a book in school which is closely linked to their phonics group and will read with an adult in school as often as possible.
Your child’s progress in reading will be greatly aided by reading with an adult at home.
Your child will also bring a reading book home which is closely linked to their phonics knowledge and this will be changed weekly. However, children are more than welcome to read anything they would like to at home be it magazines or recipes.
We are looking at the author 'Dr. Seuss' this term and will be exploring his books in class. Your child might bring home a book to read with you. Please support us with this and ensure the books are returned for the other children to borrow.
Basic skills in Literacy & Numeracy
Basic skills really help us with our work.
Basic skills in Literacy:
- To learn all my spellings.
- To learn how to use prefixes and suffixes.
- To write stories with detail.
- To use adjectives, adverbs and nouns in sentences correctly.
- To read with fluency and expression.
- To join my handwriting.
- To write sentences that have punctuation such as question marks, exclamation marks and commands.
- To use apostrophes in words.
Basic skills in Maths:
- The times tables that we need to know are our 2's, 5's and 10's.
- Knowing the addition and subtraction facts for numbers up to 20.
- Recognising odd and even numbers.
- Doubling and halving numbers to 50.
- Recognise the place value of each digit in all 2-digit numbers (tens, ones).
- Read and write numbers to at least 100 in numerals and in words
- Compare and order numbers from 0 up to 100; using how many…?,count, count (up) to, count on (from, to), count back (from, to), count in ones, twos… tens…, more, less, many, few, odd, even, every other. Etc
- Count in steps of 2, 3, 5 and 10, count in tens from any number, and give 10 more or less than a given number to 100.
- Arrange, read and write numbers in increasing and decreasing order up to 100.
** Watch the video below to see an explanantion of one of our calculations :) **
We will need to bring our PE kit in on a Tuesday. If you would like to leave your childs kit in school until half term, that is fine. Please ensure that they have suitable footwear and are not wearing earrings on these days. Thank you.
The children will have a spelling test every Friday with Miss Mouatt. Please ensure the children learn these at home and are ready for Friday.